Caring for the Smallest Hearts
St.Vincent Heart Center has pediatric cardiologists and other heart and vascular specialists who understand the special needs of a growing newborn’s heart through adolescence and young adulthood. As the largest heart care system in Indiana, our expertise extends into communities throughout Indiana. The Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St.Vincent is home to our pediatric cardiologists, pediatric cardiac electrophysiologists and pediatric heart surgeons. The St.Vincent Heart Center technology and ongoing involvement in clinical trials benefits our youngest guests. Read on for milestone achievements in pediatric cardiology care.
Expert Quality Pediatric Care Close to Home
We understand the importance of treating children close to home, so when you need a cardiac specialist for your child, our pediatric medical staff sees patients at many St.Vincent hospitals as well as some partnering clinics.
Finding Peace of Mind
Visiting a hospital can be a stressful event - especially for a child. When your child needs to visit a St.Vincent hospital for a heart diagnostic test or procedure, our pediatric cardiology team will help make your child feel safe, comfortable and relaxed. You'll rest easy too - knowing your child is receiving superior cardiac care from board-certified physicians.
Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St.Vincent provides a full range of diagnostic and interventional services for infants, children and young adults who have congenital heart defects or acquired heart diseases. Some regional St.Vincent hospital partners coordinate with the Children's Heart Center to offer select services. To find out what pediatric services are available near you, find a regional location.
Leading the Way
The St.Vincent pediatric cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery program is one of the most sophisticated programs in Indiana, and is recognized for being:
- The largest and highest volume neonatal intensive care unit in the state
- The only central Indiana provider active in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Evaluation System, a national benchmarking system for quality care
- Highly ranked for patient satisfaction
- The state's largest program for non-surgical closure of atrial septal defects in adults and children
Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St.Vincent features highly specialized diagnostic and surgical capabilities, utilizing the most sophisticated technology available. For example, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for prolonged heart-lung support is available here and at only one other pediatric center in the state, and we have a specially designed pediatric cardiac catheterization lab to help reduce radiation exposure. Learn more about cardiology services at Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St.Vincent.
Our multidisciplinary team includes board-certified, published thought leaders in cardiovascular surgery, cardiology, pediatric anesthesia and critical care. They are credited with numerous milestones, including:
- The first arterial switch repair in a 4-pound newborn
- The first successful balloon valvuloplasty of the aortic valve in a neonate
- The first to give implantable cardiac defibrillators to infants
- The first successful construction of right ventricular outflow tracts, repair of the tricuspid valve and placement of a central shunt in a newborn