EKG Testing Benefits
One of the most common tests besides having your blood pressure taken is the EKG.
During your appointment, don't be surprised if you need to have an EKG test. EKG is a first line test for physicians to better understand the inner workings of the heart and identify abnormalities within the different functions of the heart.
A Heart Center nurse educator is apt to tell you:
"The heart is like a home within the body and it has 4 rooms within that home. The plumbing is the coronary arteries. The electrical portion in your heart is responsible for conduction of the heartbeat. It's the pump action of the heart and the heartbeat that the electrocardiogram (EKG) measures using 12 placed leads. But be assured, having an EKG does not hurt."
Outpatient Heart Care Services. Close to Home.
The St.Vincent Heart Center is a system of outpatient and inpatient hospital services at locations throughout Indiana. All of these services are available at the primary Heart Centers at 86th St. and/or 106th & N.Meridian, Indianapolis. Many of these services are also available at many of the St.Vincent Hospitals and Heart Care Clinics throughout Indiana.
For the Heart Center scheduling desk call 317-583-5151.
Overview: Outpatient Heart and Vascular Care Services
- Arterial doppler (peripheral vascular studies)
- Cardiovascular Imaging
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Echocardiogram testings for adults and pediatric patients
- Electrocardiogram (EKG) testing for adults and pediatric patients
- Exercise and chemical stress testing
- Heart/stroke risk-modification (healthy diet/dietitian, home care coordinator)
- Holter and event monitoring
- Infusion therapy
- Laboratory services (blood lipid testing etc.)
- Medication Management Program (C.O.A.G clinics, smoking cessation, vaccinations)
- Pre-operation, exams and testing
- Sleep disorders, testing and treatment
- Tilt table testing
- Transesophageal echocardiograms
- TriVascular Screening
In addition a number of cardiovascular procedures are now done safely, as same-day, minimally-invasive outpatient procedures by interventional cardiologists and interventional radiologists. To learn more click here.
Our Heart Center physicians provide a very high level of care and expertise. Many of our physicians (in all areas of care) have improved cardiovascular techniques used in surgery or in ongoing therapy. They are also active in ongoing research studies to improve overall outcomes. St. Vincent Heart Center is a member of Ascension Health, the nation's largest not-for-profit Catholic healthcare system, and it is the largest provider of heart and vascular care in Indiana.