St. Vincent Hospital Geriatric Medicine Fellowship
Patrick J. Healey, MD, CMD Program Director
Since 2000 St. Vincent Hospital has sponsored a Fellowship year of training in Geriatric Medicine. The Fellowship is a Community-based one year PGY-4 program offered through the Family Medicine Residency program. It is fully accredited by the ACGME and the program has a 100% pass rate for all who have taken the Geriatric Board exam.
The Fellowship accepts 1 fellow each year and does not currently utilize the formal matching program. Preference is reserved for candidates who have completed a St Vincent Hospital Family or Internal Medicine residency. We are also seeking potential candidates who have an Ascension Health affiliation. Board Eligible/Board Certified status in either FM or IM is required.
The goals of the St. Vincent Geriatrics Fellowship are to:
- Gain the skill required to become a fully qualified geriatrician prepared to properly deal with the challenges of caring for the older complex patient in a variety of clinical settings.
- Gain specialty level training in the diagnosis and care of patients who present with the geriatric syndromes.
- Achieve clinical expertise in various levels of care including Nursing Home, Assisted Living, Memory Care and a community based specialty office practice.
- Understand the complex relationship between the normal aging process and how it relates to the presentation and course of multiple chronic diseases
- Gain the ability to effectively practice within a multidisciplinary team, respecting the unique medical, psychological, social, and functional problems faced by the elderly patient and their caregivers.
- Exercise the principles of Geriatric Assessment in various clinical settings
- Achieve a level of expertise in identifying and addressing the complex older patients who may utilize unnecessarily acute levels of care and be comfortable in having the conversation regarding reasonable goals of care.
- Aggressively address the problems surrounding polypharmacy and advocate on behalf of the appropriate use of medication therapy utilizing evidence based information whenever available
- Become comfortable addressing end of life care and the ethical issues that often surround it
The Fellowship is based in the St. Vincent Center for Healthy Aging, a unique provider of services and programs to seniors in Central Indiana since 1987. The Center’s focus is advancing and strengthening networks, partnerships, resources and talents within community based programs that have compatible values. Our goal is to minister and advocate for the spiritual and health needs of the aging population within Central Indiana and within the St Vincent Health network. The stewardship of these resources supports improved outcomes of affiliated organizations and the aged population we seek to serve.