Our mission and values establish the foundation and create the framework for the work we do. They express our priorities in what we will achieve, and how we will achieve them.
As a member of Ascension Health, St.Vincent Health is a part of the largest Catholic, mission-driven, not-for-profit health care system in the United States.
Rooted in the loving ministry of Jesus as healer, we commit ourselves to serving all persons with special attention to those who are poor and vulnerable. Our Catholic health ministry is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care, which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities. We are advocates for a compassionate and just society through our actions and our words.
Service of the Poor - Generosity of spirit, especially for persons most in need
This core value affirms that we demonstrate a special commitment to serving those who are physically, emotionally, spiritually and financially poor and vulnerable. We bring this to life by giving of ourselves generously and without hesitation. The following examples show how we exemplify this on a daily basis:
- Reach out to those in need without hesitation or judgment.
- Advocate for those whose voices need lifting.
- Put the needs of others before our own.
- Empower others to help themselves.
- Build relationships and collaborations for a common good.
Reverence - Respect and compassion for the dignity and diversity of life
This core value affirms that each person has special value, unique talents and varied gifts. When we revere life, we act with deep respect and compassion for the dignity and diversity of life. The following behaviors and attitudes show how we attempt to do just that each and every day:
- Invite and appreciate the uniqueness of people and their viewpoints
- Be empathic by listening, reflecting and accepting people and where they are in life
- Conscientiously care for our environment
- Be with those most vulnerable and recognize that not only patients, but also families, co-workers and physicians need help from time to time
- Heal the physical, spiritual and emotional needs of others
Integrity - Inspiring trust through personal leadership
This core value suggests that our words and actions should be consistent with our values. In day-to-day terms, living with integrity may be recognized as how we:
- Hold ourselves personally accountable to do what is right and ethical.
- Maintain high standards of excellence and performance.
- Communicate with honesty, compassion, directness and respect.
- Collaborate with patients, families, co-workers and others as appropriate in a mission- and values-based way.
- Help others to think through and act ethically.
- Consider how to display and encourage important characteristics, such as courage, strength, honesty and trust.
Wisdom - Integrating excellence and stewardship
This core value suggests that everyone within our organization is committed to the principles of performance improvements to foster a service culture. More specifically:
- Evaluate options against both mission and business concerns.
- View "healing" in systematic ways to include prevention and community health perspectives.
- Act to reflect an understanding of excellence and stewardship that includes cultivating relationships and the holistic use of resources.
- Balance work and home demands for a better quality of life.
- See excellence and stewardship as being more than task- or decision-based, including organizational, personal and community resources.
Creativity - Courageous innovation
This core value affirms our commitment to seek new approaches to service and care; to willingly try new approaches with vitality, energy and enthusiasm. This value is exemplified when we:
- Seek new approaches in practice.
- See challenges as an opportunity for resourcefulness.
- Embrace change with hope and courage.
- Explore business and human issues in an imaginative and flexible way.
- Show dedication by constantly refining our ideas.
Dedication - Affirming the hope and joy of our ministry
This core value affirms the meaning of the work we do and the fact that our workplace is a community of persons who share and are committed to common vision - and depend on one another throughout the day to further our mission. Our ministry offers hope and joy to both giver and receiver and can be seen when we:
- Connect health, healing, heart and spirit.
- Discover the joy of service through optimism, inspiration, humor and hope.
- Engage in the struggle to stay dedicated when our mission and values are challenged.
- Encouraging others to go "above and beyond," to persevere and give from the heart.