An inquiry regarding hospice services may be initiated by anyone at any time. When a patient is faced
with a terminal illness with limited life expectancy and the goal changes from curative to comfort, it is
time to contact St.Vincent Hospice for consultation. We will then work with a physician or nursing
provider to determine if hospice is the right choice.
Patient eligibility is based on the following:
- The patient has been diagnosed with a terminal illness
- The patient's life expectancy is limited to six months or less
- The patient refuses or is not eligible for aggressive, curative life-prolonging treatments
- The patient and family are active participants in the plan of care
- The patient is located within the service area
Hospice allows the patient and family to stay together in the comfort of the home but if it is
determined that the patient needs an inpatient facility, the medical team will make the arrangements
for the patient's stay.